Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ammon's Joy


Dear Family,
 
This Tuesday we met with the lady that came to church. She kept saying she enjoyed our church meetings, but she didn't want to become a Mormon. Well, she let us teach her the Restoration. She seemed pretty happy to receive a Book of Mormon and when we asked her to be baptized, she said "Hm, I will have to think about it.". We set up to come again the next week same time. Then on Friday we got a phone call from her saying she would not be able to meet next week, and was not interested in becoming a Mormon and I asked her if she had prayed, and she didn't quite understand me and said "I am capable of praying. I will be returning the book to Donna." Donna was her member friend who took her to church and had sat in the lesson. Then she cut off my response and hung up. Sad. But this happens to missionaries, we are used to it, so we were actually more worried about Donna, because this wonderful member had really put herself out there to share the gospel and got the dreaded response of most members. But when we talked to her about it, she was totally fine and even said "oh well, as bishop says, next!" She has not been deterred by this experience, and I think it is an example for all of us! Even if we do get rejected, to just recognize to still be their friend, but still always look to share the gospel with someone else. Our ward got to watch  the rebroadcast from last week, and afterwards Bishop stood up in front of everyone and used Donna as an example, she was called as a ward missionary one week, and brought someone to church the next! And did I mention she is probably 80? She. Is. Awesome.
 
This week I was reading in Alma 26 about Ammon talking to his brothers, rejoicing about how much the Lord had blessed them in their missionary work, converting thousands. He goes so crazy that Aaron his brother "rebuked him, saying 'Ammon, I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting." Haha I can just picture this happening. But Ammon's response is "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore, I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold many miracles we have wrought upon this land,  for which we will praise his name forever." I love it. This truly is the Lord's work, and as we choose to get invovled, He allows us to be a part of it. Full time missionary or member missionary, we can see the miracles He performs everyday. This week, I got to go to Peter's baptism (long story how I got to go), and it was one of the best baptisms ever! As soon as he came up out of the water, you could see and feel the difference. He stood in the water for a while, wiped his face and said "woah". Norman gave the talk on the Holy Ghost! I was so pround of my men converts! But as Norman shared about his experience with praying. he said stuff I didn't even know had happened! So truly, I was able to feel such joy as Ammon, but I know it was all the Lord and He did so much that I didn't even know. But because I chose to be involved in missionary work, I now know more of my brothers in the Lord. He allowed me to be a apart of it. This work is real, and it is hastening. May I invite you to pray fervently for opportunities on how to be friends and share the gospel with those around you, so you can enjoy the blessings and happiness that comes from all this.  Also, that Bishop has plans for Norman and Peter to bless the sacrament in the next few weeks!  Happens to work nicely since all the priests are graduating or inactive in that ward. The Lord works in mysterious ways! Priesthood will now bless their homes and families, and the ward.
 
Well one more week of our Singles Ward, then we are switching our work to the Mid-Singles Ward. We already got a referral/investigator in that range, so we are really praying that we will see some amazing things in this new ward! I feel it! Our bishop is excited, told us President Meredith sent him the "cream of the crop", so expectations are high! Pray for us!
 
Happy 4th of July, Happy Birthday Gavin, and I will pray extra hard for my family this particular week.
 
Love you all sooooo much!!
Sister Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment