Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mixed Week



JUST KIDDING.....got this today! Sorry guys :)

Hi Family,
 
So our P-day was switched this week due to us being allowed to go in the temple. Our temple day was today, Wednesday, so that became our P-day. So I just read some of your emails, and am obviously just now responding.
 
Since Monday was not a P-day, we had to work on Memorial Day. We found lots of service to do, including singing patriotic songs to some elderly at a nursing home. That was fun, and they loved it! They especially clapped their hands to Battle Hymn of the Republic. Thanks to all those I know who have served/are serving in the armed forces! You are amazing.
 
Our little Toyota Corolla we get to drive is one of the oldest in the mission. We had to get the battery replaced AND the stereo/radio system fixed, because in a few months they will sell it.Why would I tell you this? Because that means that the only spare car hanging around the mission home for us to use in the mean time, was actually a truck! The senior couple in charge of cars told President Meredith that I was from Texas and drove a truck in high school and he said that was ok, so my companion and I were so excited! We have LOVED driving that around this week. Reminded me of Texas. All of our district, especially the elders, were pretty jealous.
 
We received some referrals from a man in another ward who is dying of cancer. He called us and said he wanted everyone he knew and loved to know about the church. Amazing what being close to the veil makes you think about...
 
I absolutely loved the temple today. I haven't been since November, and it felt like home! It went by waaaay too fast and I felt like I couldn't drink it all in fast enough. I literally will have so, so many stresses before I go in, but when I am inside, I physically can not feel stressed about those things. Even though I think about them, my mind is extremely calm. Whoever reads this, do me a favor, and go to the temple this week! Also, a lady stopped me and the other sisters in the celestial room and hugged us and told us to tell our moms. Her 19 yr old daughter is on a mission and she said she hoped a mom was hugging her daughter.
 
Peter has a new baptismal date for June 15! He read the scriptures about Sabbath Day holy and asked if he needed to take off work. For a guy who works a million hours for his family, this was amazing he even asked! His faith is really growing. They were sure to come on time to sacrament too this week, which was a first in a while. Zaya is so excited she keeps asking again and again when they can go to the temple together to be sealed.
 
This Friday I get to go on exchanges...with Sister Hewett! Surprise reunion in Walnut Creek now that she is a sister trainer. We are both excited :)
 
Well my prayers will definitely go out to people in my home stake this week. I know how much the gospel blesses families, because it has blessed mine in so many ways. When trials came/will come upon us, we can rely on the Lord. When you feel there is nothing and no one else, He is there. When you feel life is out of your control, and there is nothing else you can do-- except pray. He literally is there to hold us and grieve with us- I have felt it. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and the link to me being with my family forever. It was in those particular moments of losing family/friends that it has become very real for me, and not only a testimony builder, but a conversion builder.
There is a story we were told in a talk by Elder Holland, that many years ago two missionaries tracted into a young mother's house in some European country (sorry I don't remember the details). She was very upset they were at the door, and said she had been offended by many priests who told her her son who had passed away was damned because he died young without baptism. She was about to slam the door, when one elder stuck his foot through the door and asked "ma'am, would you like us to tell you where your son is?" and she stopped. He opened up to Moroni 8. Verse 12 I like in particular "For little children are alive in Christ, even from the foundation of the world; if not so, God is a partial God, and also a changeable God, and a respecter to persons; for how many little children have died without baptism!"  The Book of Mormon answers questions of the soul. This lady's grief and anger was answered with words of Christ. How lucky we are to have His teachings and promises! He also shows us how much He loves children in 3 Nephi 17: 20-23 "...he said unto them:blessed are ye because of your faith. And now, behold my joy is full. And when he has said these words, he wept...and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. And when he had done this he wept again; and he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones."  The gospel is true, and if we choose to live it, we are blessed with such peace. Perhaps He is holding this dear sweet boy now. Perhaps Ally and he are teaching those very people we are doing work in the temple for. So once again, please go to the temple. It is such an important work. Then when you go, write me about your experience.
 
I sincerely love you all, each one of you.
Love,
Sister Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment